Sunday, April 27, 2014

11. By the Rivers of Babylon

Time:  605 BC - 536 BC
Place:  Babylon Rivers
Event:  Psalm 137
People:  The Exiles



Yesterday, we saw that Ezekiel was often at Chebar River because the exiles lived there.  Chebar River was a long canal in lower Mesopotamia whose water came from the Euphrates.

What is it like by the Rivers of Babylon?

Psalm 137 gives us a glimpse of what the exiles were doing by the Rivers of Babylon.

Spend some time to meditate on Psalm 137 for it helps us to understand their longing for God in a foreign land.




Psalm 137 :1-6

By the rivers of Babylon,
    there we sat down and wept,
    when we remembered Zion.
On the willows there
    we hung up our lyres.
For there our captors
    required of us songs,
and our tormentors, mirth, saying,
    “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”

How shall we sing Yahweh's song
    
in a foreign land?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
    let my right hand forget its skill!
Let my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth,
    if I do not remember you,
if I do not set Jerusalem
    above my highest joy!


:)


No comments:

Post a Comment